Monday, June 3, 2013

THERE WERE SEVEN DEPLOYMENTS; WHAT WAS I THINKING?

In my blog entry last Wednesday, “Our Veterans Stories, Our Span of Wars,” I wrote about the deployment of my immediate family members. However, I goofed. I failed miserably because I excluded a very significant family member and his service. My nephew, actually my favorite nephew (as he aptly programmed his contact information in my cell phone and I happen to agree) deployed to the Middle East where he flew numerous helicopter missions as Pilot in Command of an Army gun ship. My omission of this information in my original post was one of those things you do without realizing what you have done and when you finally remember, you feel awful. Well, I officially feel awful.

My nephew is truly a special person in my life. I was eighteen when he was born. He was my parent’s first grandchild. He is a handsome, intelligent individual with beautiful, bright children of his own and excellent parenting skills. Off and on over the years we have spent good amounts of time together. When he was a baby and I lived in the University dormitory he came to stay occasionally. We always had a great time and in many ways we grew up together. I watched him become the man he is today and wow am I proud of that.

When he returned from deployment he brought home an American flag, with which he flew a mission, and gave it to me. I keep it at home in my library and count it among my most cherished possessions. Like my father, son, and brother, I am proud of my nephew’s willingness to risk his life in the service of our country. He came home safely and I thank God every day that he is in my life.

I regret having omitted such an important person in my original post. I liken it to leaving your child behind at a gas station. Today I carry the burden of bad uncle and will work hard to do better in the future. In addition I have many other extended family members who served our country. Uncles and cousins on both sides of my family did their duty. I am and shall always remain proud of them all.

Your comments and questions are always welcome.

Elizabeth’s Secrets http://amzn.to/IoXLgD
Dark Star http://amzn.to/KsXYOr

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and thoughts.