Thursday, February 24, 2011

BOOK CLUB TOPICS

 I think book clubs are wonderfully interesting groups. The members read a book and discuss their thoughts and what they think the author meant. Because I write upmarket fiction I am caused to see book club conversations in my mind while writing certain specific passages.

I always write scenes with a distinct message in mind. I want the reader to understand and relate to my message, but I never want to be so boring as to just spell it out in elementary terms. I like to disguise my meanings within the color of the language without being unclear. For a writer, it is a very fine line.

I do this by visualizing every detail of every scene. When I step into the scene, in my mind's eye, I can see, hear, feel, taste and smell the complex fabric of human interactions and their affects on each other and the physical world. Something that I really like is to cloak a meaning in a character's actions then reveal the actual meaning at a later time in the story. I love when my readers say something like, "Oh, now I get it!"

Dark Star is preceded by an Epigraph which refers to the work of renowned geoligist John Michell. Perhaps when you read the Epigraph, before you read the book, it will mean very little. It may actually seem like I was just rambling and filling space. However, once you finish the book I am convinced that you can reread the Epigraph and clearly see its relevance and my message.

As you read my work I hope that you will let me know what you think and ask me any questions that you may have.

In Good Fiction,

Paul D. Alexander
Dark Star  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and thoughts.