Thursday, February 24, 2011

WHAT IT TAKES TO WRITE A BOOK

How many people do you know who have said they would like to write a book someday? Perhaps writing a novel or a text is something you have thought about for yourself. Typically what I hear along with this declaration is something about when, like; "When I retire, when the kids leave home, or when hell freezes over, I'm going to write my book."

I can only speak for myself. There is never a perfect time to start. I think if you have an idea, make the time to commit the plot to paper, write an outline and if it feels right, start writing. When I wrote my first book I stole a few minutes here and there and it took years. When I decided to write a second book I promised myself to write two pages per day. I kept my promise by getting up extra early (I am much more creative in the morning) and I wrote my two pages before my work day began. It took six months to write that book and another twelve to edit it.

I still write in the early morning. I arrive at my office around 6:00 AM and write until 8:00, then I put on my day job hat and try not to think about the book until the next morning. Of course there is always that unexpected flash of an idea that I am compelled to write on the back of a napkin or capture on my mini recorder in my truck.

Thomas Edison said; "If we did all things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves."

I say; if you have a book on your mind, make the time and write it.

In good fiction,

Paul D. Alexander    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and thoughts.